[whatwg] Deprecating <small>, <b> ?

From: Nils Dagsson Moskopp <nils-dagsson-moskopp@dieweltistgarnichtso.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 06:09:32 +0100
>The small element represents small print [...]

>The b element represents a span of text to be stylistically offset from
the normal prose without conveying any extra importance [...]

Both definitions seems rather presentational (contrasting, for example,
the new semantic definition for the <i> element) and could also be
realized by use of <span> elements.

To me these look like the last remnants of the <font> element. So why
are these elements retained ?

Greetings,
Nils