[whatwg] Scripted querying of <video> capabilities

(sorry, my mail was work in progress when I accidentally hit send)

I'm also a bit concerned about how to interpret the yes, no and maybe
return values. The truthful answer is going to be "maybe" for all but
the obviously unsupporter (application/x-ms-dos-executable) and the more
trivial formats (audio/wav).

When asking about application/ogg, this could mean 2 things:

1. "can I demux Ogg streams?"
2. "can I demux Ogg streams and decode unknown codecs?"

The answer to question 1 is reasonably simple to answer in most cases,
even if the underlying media frame doesn't support querying for mime
types a mapping between mime type and supported decoders isn't impossible.

The answer to question 2, on the other hand, is always "no" or "maybe".

Unless the codecs parameter is to be made mandatory I think that spec
should explicitly make it such that the question asked is 1. In either
case we will end up there because 2 is not a meaningful question and
user agents will make untruthful answers in attempts to stay compatible
with unknown and future content (which might be supported by installing
new codecs in the media framework without upgrading the browser).

Now, if the codec parameter is used then the user agent may answer yes
and no in a way that actually makes some sense.

I also think that this should be explicitly related to the type
attribute of the source element. One should be able to use canPlayType
to predict with 100% accuracy which source the user agent will use when
it encounters.

<video>
<source type="application/ogg"/>
<source type="application/ogg codecs=dirac,flac"/>
</video>

If this isn't specified then one can expect lots of web app authors
being forced to write scripts to work around the different behaviour of
canPlayType and the "pick a source" algorithm in different browsers.

Philip

--
Philip J?genstedt
Opera Software