[whatwg] Video element and duration attribute

From: Ralph Giles <giles@xiph.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 13:48:12 -0800
On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson at apple.com> wrote:

>                  Instead of seeking to the end of the file to calculate an exact
> duration as you describe, it is much cheaper to estimate the duration by
> processing a fixed portion of the file and extrapolating to the duration
> based on the file size. QuickTime does this and it works quite well.

I expect this works much better for mp3 than it does for variable
bitrate streams. Nevertheless it's much better than nothing.

Your argument that the durationchange event makes flexible
determination reasonable is a good one. I'm fine with not including
the duration argument, for whatever that's worth.

 -r