[whatwg] Fwd: Review of the 3.16 section and the HTMLInputElement interface

LOL forgot to add the whatwg list to the To: field ^^;

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eduard Pascual <herenvardo@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 3:31 AM
Subject: Re: [whatwg] Review of the 3.16 section and the
HTMLInputElement interface
To: Samuel Santos <samaxes at gmail.com>

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 3:09 AM, Samuel Santos <samaxes at gmail.com> wrote:
> What about allowing the Author to change the control's locale?
> By doing so, the UA can then render the button with the same locale as the
> application without compromising the security.
I was going to suggest this, but I don't think it's really doable:
browsers would need to include all the translations of that caption in
all their versions. In the specific case of IE, considering that
Microsoft tends to license only single-language versions of its
products (if you want it in two languages, you need to pay twice), I'm
afraid this would be an issue (despite the fact that IE is actually
distributed for free, it would still mess with their "packaging").
Still, I think that requiring user confirmation whenever something in
the control has been altered (like the button caption) should be
enough: as long as the user knows that s/he is sending that file to
that site; how much matters how the control actually looks or what the
button's caption reads?