[whatwg] Combining the DedicatedWorker and SharedWorker interfaces

From: Aaron Boodman <aa@google.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 12:06:58 -0800
Jonas, Hixie, and I talked about this yesterday on IRC (logs start
here: http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20081104#l-575 and go
into the next day).

Jonas is still against removing postMessage/onmessage from the Worker
interface in favor of connect() only. Also, several people feel like
connect/startConversation is just a convenience and not totally
necessary.

In light of both of these, I have a new proposal for how to
simplify/combine these two interfaces. Here are the deltas from the
current spec:

* Remove startConversation() from the Worker interface
* Remove the port property from the SharedWorker interface and give it
a postMessage and onmessage just like dedicated workers have.
* Leave the interfaces for the insides of the workers as they are now

There are other options for what to do with the inside interfaces. I
would prefer that they were more normalized, but I already know that
Jonas won't like that and I am fine with this proposal.

Thoughts?

- a