From: Frank Hellenkamp [mailto:jonas@depagecms.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 10:59 AM
To: Kristof Zelechovski
Cc: whatwg at whatwg.org
Subject: Re: [whatwg] Proposal for a link attribute to replace <a href>

> The anchor customarily encompasses just the key phrase, not the whole
text.
> The problem here is that the advertisements are not cooperative; they
> aggressively try to get in the reader's way.  In your example, it would be
> more consistent to wrap the header text only.
> As an alternative, you can put a clickable empty transparency over the
> teaser.  Is that what you meant by CSS tricks?
> Chris

The thing is: You want to have it most intuitive for the user:

You have a portal page for a newspaper for example. Every article has a
teaser with an image, a headline and text.

As a user, I don't want to search for a link text (like "more...", which
is really bad, or some small key phrase), i just want to click somewhere
on the teaser (on the image or the text) to get the article I want to read.

As a content producer, I have to honor that. It is good to have big
clickable buttons, especially on present and upcoming mobile devices
(like the iphone for example).

In the best case the whole rectangle of the teaser is clickable. At the
moment you need some javascript or an a-tag with "display: block" for
it, to get this behavior (see example in my last mail).

best regards

frank

--
frank hellenkamp | interface designer