[whatwg] Relationship to Charmod and Charmod Norm

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> WF 2.0 says: "Implementations and documents must comply to the W3C
> Character Model specification. [CHARMOD]"
>
> WA 1.0 says no such thing. Is that intentional?

Not really.

It's not clear, in retrospect, that requiring conformance to CHARMOD is
helpful. I don't really see a strong argument for referring to CHARMOD in
HTML5 at this point. The majority of the conformance requirements on
content and implementations that affect interoperability are explicitly
listed in HTML5 in more detail. The rest are things I don't really agree
with anyway.

(I have snipped a long discussion from Henri of the problems of a number
of the conformance requirements.)