[whatwg] Removing @rev

From: Nicholas Shanks <contact@nickshanks.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 15:05:15 +0200
On 14 May 2008, at 12:11 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Tue, 13 May 2008, K?i?tof ?elechovski wrote:
>>
>> Removing @rev is harmful for Lynx because that is how it decides
>> who the
>> author is.

> Removing rev="" from the spec doesn't preclude Lynx still supporting
> it
> for legacy documents, and for new documents, rel=author is preferred
> and
> is trivially supportable given support for rev=made, so I don't think
> this is a particularly convincing argument.

For what it's worth, I always press 'c' before going hunting for a
contact address. It usually doesn't work, but that's life I guess.

Ian: would it be too much to have the spec say that @rev is valid if
and only if its value is "made" or "owner"?
That way I can continue supporting older versions of lynx until people
have updated to a version supporting rel=author

I generally prefer lynx over links, w3m and such when I'm ssh'd into
another machine, so I don't know much about them, but if they also
support @rev then that would be more reason to keep it in with these
fixed values.

? Nicholas.