[whatwg] createImageData

From: Oliver Hunt <oliver@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 14:58:31 -0700

On May 13, 2008, at 1:53 PM, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:
> The first argument to the method must be an ImageData object
> returned by createImageData(), getImageData(), or an object
> constructed with the necessary properties by the user.  If the
> object was constructed by the user, its width and height dimensions
> are specified in device pixels (which may not map directly to CSS
> pixels).  If null or any other object is given that does not present
> the ImageData interface, then the putImageData() method must raise a
> TYPE_MISMATCH_ERR exception.

If we were to add that we should include a note to indicate that using
a custom object is not recommended -- Any code that uses a custom
created object will never benefit from improvements in ImageData
performance made by the UA.  That said I still don't believe custom
objects should be allowed, aside from the resolution (which may or may
not be relevant) and performance issues, a custom object with a
generic JS array, rather than an ImageData object will have different
behaviour -- a proper ImageData will clamp on assignment, and throw in
cases that a custom object won't.

>    - Vlad

--Oliver