[whatwg] HTML4's profile="" attribute's absence in HTML5

Ian Hickson wrote:

I disagree.

1) Conflicts *do* occur, as soon as you consider extensions that happen
outside the microformats process (and that process seems to exclude
private extensions, such as for intranet applications).

2) As a matter of fact, <http://microformats.org/wiki/profile-uris> states

"In hcalendar-issues, it is ACCEPTED that each microformat should have a
profile URI, like the XFN profile (http://gmpg.org/xfn/11)."

So it seems you are in disagreement with the microformats community as well.

That being said; I agree that the profile attribute is not a good
solution, as it is of limited use only. Thus, instead of removing it we
should think about fixing it, or using something that works instead
(RDFa comes to mind).

BR, Julian