[whatwg] Exploring new vocabularies for HTML

On Mar 24, 2008, at 1:58 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> I've started trying to distill problem descriptions out of the 367 e-
> mails
> about using markup from namespaces other than HTML in text/html that
> are
> currently in the WHATWG Issues List. [1]
>
> I'm putting what I find into a page on the WHATWG wiki. [2]
>
> If anyone wants to help out, please coordinate with me on #whatwg on
> Freenode IRC or #html-wg on W3C IRC, or drop me an e-mail.
>
> [1] http://www.whatwg.org/issues/#html-parsing-rules-namespaces-discussion
> [2] http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/New_Vocabularies

Here's a use case that hasn't been previously mentioned:

* Include "bindings" in the style of XBL, XBL2 or Windows HTCs inline
in a text/html document, much as scripts and stylesheets can be
included inline.

I'm not sure this is very strong (external files only for bindings in
text/html doesn't seem like a huge problem) but XBL2 can be supported
inline in application/xhtml+xml, so presumably this isn't considered
completely pointless. I can imagine this being handy during
exploratory programming, or in cases where it's desirable to deliver
as much as possible in a single resource so everything goes inline in
the HTML.

Regards,
Maciej