[whatwg] several messages about tables and related subjects

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 17:48:22 -0500
 >> TH and TD
>> * abbr (I think that's supported by screen readers, but need to verify)
>
>I don't really see that these attributes actually help anyone.

I don't have a screen reader to verify, but afaik abbr= is used to provide a
shortened form of the header when it is spoken aloud repeatedly.  Leaving it
out won't *hurt* anything, but the annoyance of hearing a large bit of
header repeated over and over again when the table is complex enough to
*need* a regular reminder would be enough, I think, for abbr= to be
considered to help people.

I use abbr= to this effect in my own tables.

~TJ