[whatwg] [HTML5] Accessibility question

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:05:22 -0000, Simon Pieters <simonp at opera.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:17:19 +0100, Sam Kuper <sam.kuper at uclmail.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 16/03/2008, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
>>>
>>> Could you elaborate more on what problem you are trying to solve?
>>

>> I wonder if this <http://www.alistapart.com/articles/fir/> is one of the
>> problems to do with content for sighted/unsighted viewers it might be
>> nice
>> to have a good solution to in HTML5?
>
> I think this is more of a problem with CSS, and one that is, AFAICT,
> solved with CSS3 generated content (which is implemented in Opera,
> although I have not tested it in Opera in combination with a screen
> reader):
>
>     h1 { content:url(foo.png) }

It doesn't work with a screen reader in either Safari or Opera using
VoiceOver - and I wouldn't expect it to until differentiating media types
is reliably implemented. So this seems like an approach to avoid - the use
of off-screen positioning is less harmful (if still not that great). If
anyone wants a test case, let me know - I would expect that in Windows no
screen reader will read the content either, but don't have a windows
machine to test (although I need one - at least I have a handful of
windows screen readers).

cheers

Chaals

     je parle fran?ais -- hablo espa?ol -- jeg l?rer norsk