[whatwg] [HTML5] Accessibility question

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:07:52 -0000, Paul Waring <pwaring at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17/03/2008, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals at opera.com> wrote:
>> Bad assumption - they don't read it out. They read what is put on the
>>  screen. (Well, sort of - what they actually do is parse the DOM
>> themselves
>>  quite often, as well). One reason for this is that a lot of authors put
>>  stuff there "for screen reader users" that just adds to the clutter on
>>  their page - an easy mistake if you're not used to what screen readers
>> are
>>  actually like to work with.
>
> Ah, it would appear that screen readers have got a bit more advanced
> since the last time I looked into them (which admittedly was some time
> ago) - back then I think many of them still read out 'hidden' text.

Must have been a very long time ago. They generally haven't done that.

>>  In my ideal world, people would actually implement the aural style,
>> but I
>>  think we are the biggest implementation of that and we only do it on
>>  windows for the voice plugin :(
>
> If there is already something which does this then, is there really a
> need for a <noview> element?

I don't think introducing a new element will change anything, it will just
complicate the things that we should be focusing attention on, so I don't
think there is any need for such an element.

cheers

chaals

     je parle fran?ais -- hablo espa?ol -- jeg l?rer norsk