[whatwg] Native JSON parsing API

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 09:12:12 +0300
On Jun 14, 2008, at 11:08, Adam Barth wrote:

> For example, Firefox 3 implements a native JSON
> parser <http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/nsIJSON>, but only for
> privileged JavaScript.  The JSON format itself is already specified.

The de jure spec for JSON, RFC 4627, doesn't specify error handling on
the level one would expect from a WHATWG spec. Instead, the RFC says:
"A JSON parser MAY accept non-JSON forms or extensions."
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4627.txt

The JSON parsers I've used in non-browser contexts have been Draconian
and incompatible with existing content such as output from
del.icio.us, which can contain escaped single quotes, which isn't
allowed in proper JSON.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi