[whatwg] Native JSON parsing API

From: Adam Barth <whatwg@adambarth.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 02:41:44 -0700
On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 1:43 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
> On Jun 14, 2008, at 1:08 AM, Adam Barth wrote:
>> HTML 5 should expose a native JSON parser for web content.
>
> Native JSON parsing is being considered for the next versions of ECMAScript
> (the 3.1 and 4 versions). It seems like a better fit there than in HTML5. If
> it ends up not being added to ECMAScript, I would propose it as a standalone
> spec for the W3C Web Apps WG.

Is JSON serialization/deserialization still being considered there?
The most recent message I could find on es4-discuss is
<https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es4-discuss/2008-March/002397.html>,
which states that JSON serialization was removed (but might reappear).

I'm certainly not an expert at this process, but is a whole spec
needed?  It seems like <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4627.txt> contains
most of the details.  Maybe there tricky issues with non-tree object
structures?

Adam