[whatwg] Interpretation of video poster attribute

From: Chris Double <chris.double@double.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 23:22:40 +1200
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Philip J?genstedt <philipj at opera.com> wrote:
> This is just to provide sane defaults for authors who trust the browser
> to do the right things in absence of width/height. Safari already uses
> the intrinsic dimensions of the poster image and then resizes to the
> intrinsic dimensions of the video, which is exactly the behavior we want
> to implement.

This is the behaviour I was planning to implement for poster too btw.
As a user of the video element it seemed the most logical to me.

In the absence of a poster attribute does Safari load the first frame
of the video and display that? I seem to recall it did when using a
quicktime movie but not with a Theora movie using the XiphQT plugin.
Is displaying the first frame of the video something that's useful? In
the Firefox implementation I display the first frame, but I should be
displaying nothing, right?

Chris.
--
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz