From: whatwg-bounces@lists.whatwg.org
[mailto:whatwg-bounces at lists.whatwg.org] On Behalf Of Russell Leggett
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 4:25 PM
To: Peter Kasting
Cc: whatwg at whatwg.org
Subject: Re: [whatwg] Application deployment

It seems to me that many of the additions to the HTML spec are there because
they provide a standard way to do something we are already doing with a hack
or more complicated means. CSS sprites are clearly a hack. Concatenating js
files are clearly a hack. Serving from multiple sub-domains to beat the
connection limit is also a workaround. My proposal is intended to approach
the deployment issue directly, because I think it is a limitation in the
html spec itself and therefore, I think the html spec should provide its own
solution. My proposal may not be the best way, but assuming the issue will
be dealt with eventually by some other party through some other means does
not seem right either.