From: whatwg-bounces@lists.whatwg.org
[mailto:whatwg-bounces at lists.whatwg.org] On Behalf Of Jonas Sicking
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2008 11:45 PM
To: Ian Hickson
Cc: whatwg
Subject: Re: [whatwg] pushState

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>> What is the purpose of the 'title' argument? Is the idea that the UA
>> will show that where it usually shows the <title> of the page? If so the
>> title isn't purely advisory as it should probably affect document.title
>> as well. This would seem like a good idea to me.
>
> The idea is to use this title in the session history. It's distinct than
> the <title> and document.title because when the session history might need

> to say something like "Mail - after opening 'compose mail'", "Mail - after

> typing paragraph ending in 'JSON-ifyable object.'", and so forth, while
> the whole time the actual page title just says "Mail - New Mail".

So the idea is that this is the title that we'd display for example in
the drop down where you can select a history entry to navigate to?

If so, why wouldn't you want document.title to also say "Mail - after
opening 'compose mail'" as well? Seems like good UI to keep the two in sync.

>> What is the purpose of the url attribute? Why would you want to reload a
>> separate page when returning to a given state, then what was used to
>> load that state initially?
>
> If the Document gets discarded (e.g. it gets evicted from the bfcache),
> the URL allows the client to still pretend it has the state, allowing the
> server to regenerate it based on the data in the URL.

But why would you want to recreate the same document using a different
page than the page that originally created the document. I.e. if I have
a single page that I use to show various views, why would I all of a
sudden want to use another page to render one of those views just
because the user restarted the browser?