From: Mark Finkle [mailto:mark.finkle@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 7:18 PM
To: Krzysztof ?elechowski
Cc: whatwg at lists.whatwg.org; Ian Hickson; Brady Eidson; whatwg at whatwg.org
Subject: Re: [whatwg] Proposed additions to ClientInformation interface

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Krzysztof ?elechowski
<giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl> wrote:

Tuesday 08 of July 2008 05:10:46 Mark Finkle napisa?(a):

> On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Jun 2008, Brady Eidson wrote:

> >  * Sites want to offer a way for users to opt into a standalone mode
> >   ("can we offer a link to download one of these standalone Web apps?").
> >   Basically, to offer a way to bookmark the page as a standalone app
> >   instead of as a bookmark that opens in the browser.
>
> link rel ?

Not really, it would abuse the LINK element.

define abuse

> >  * It shouldn't be something that appears in the browser's UI, since
> >   browsers have basically run out of room.
>
> disagree. it will depend in browser UI anyway for the confirm prompt

The prompt would be presented in a modal window, therefore it would not use
chrome space.

I hope no modal windows will be used in the making of this UI. Firefox
currently doesn't use modal UI for permission prompts.