[whatwg] Web Sockets

From: Charl van Niekerk <charlvn@charlvn.za.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 12:14:11 +0200
On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
>   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/comms.html#network

I'm very happy, just one small concern so far. Please excuse the
typical "African" issue but over here the networks are particularly
terrible and this does affect us quite badly. I would like to be able
to determine whether a connection has been closed by the server or by
a network error. I think it would be very handy for the user agent to
know if it's caused by unstable network connections or an unstable
server and possibly log this somehow and/or communicate this to the
user.

On the other side, this issue can also be worked around (to a large
extent) by getting the server to send a specific "quit" message before
closing the connection; if no such message is received the client can
reasonably safely assume the disconnect to be caused by a network
error.

I'm not suggesting any changes at this point in time, just thought I
should raise this for comment.

Thanks,
Charl

--