[whatwg] language quibbles: either works Re: same-origin versus same origin

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 03:17:50 -0400, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jul 2008, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/ has some usage of "same-origin" while
>> it seems that the intention is for it to be all "same origin". I'd
>> prefer if it was all "same origin" (apart from tokens, of course) as
>> that's what I/I'll use in XLMHttpRequest et al.
>
> The intent is to use "same-origin" when the term is used as an adjective
> and "same origin" when it is used as a noun phrase. That, as far as I
> understand, is correct English grammar.

Actually I am pretty sure that either are correct in the context of an
attempt to describe the usage that constitutes "english grammar". English
grammar, unlike many other languages, does not have a formal definition,
nor any body capable of making one. This lack of formal precision is a
drawback when using it to describe technical things - but one
counterbalanced by the fact that many of the people who want to understand
the descriptions have some level of familiarity with it.

cheers

Chaals

     je parle fran?ais -- hablo espa?ol -- jeg l?rer norsk
http://my.opera.com/chaals   Try Opera 9.5: http://www.opera.com