[whatwg] Proposal for a link attribute to replace <a href>

On 28 Feb 2008, at 12:18, Shannon wrote:

> So 'backwards-compatibility', as defined by the same document, can
> be achieved by using javascript to walk the DOM and add
> 'window.location(node.getAttribute('link'))' to the onclick handler
> of any nodes with a link attribute. I have done a very similar thing
> before to implement :hover on non-anchor elements in IE. Of course
> an author wouldn't have to use this new attribute at all so
> backwards-compatibility is the designers choice, not an issue with
> the proposed attribute.

While yes, you could rely on something like that, it totally breaks in
any user agent without scripting support. Nothing else, to my
knowledge, in HTML 5 leads to total loss of functionality without
JavaScript whatsoever. Nothing else reinvents the wheel for something
with which we already have a perfectly fine solution already.

You mention in the first email in this thread that this would allow
nested hyperlinks: altering the content model of the a element would
allow this too. I don't see it as being a very sensible thing to
allow, though.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>