[whatwg] CSS idea: y-index

From: Robert O'Rourke <rob@sanchothefat.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 18:08:38 +0000
Hi,

This has probably come up in some form or another already but incase it
hasn't i decided to share the idea.

Say you have 3 <div>s:

and the following CSS (assuming a default y-index of 0):

#div3 {
    y-index: -1;
}

The output would be:

The idea is that CSS can control the source order at the rendering
stage, so the HTML still has its ideal source order but for styling
purposes bits can be moved up or down. I know there's such a thing as
positioning however it would be nice to have the option to keep things
in-flow, especially where generated content is concerned. In my line of
work I do a lot of templates for CSS coders to use and I can't please
everyone or allow /every/ possible design to be acheived. Something like
this would be a major bonus.

The property could also be called 'order' or something to that effect.

Anyway, back to work =]

Rob