[whatwg] Modal dialogs in HTML5

On , Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Joao Eiras wrote:
>>
>> What happened to the 3rd parameter (sFeatures) ?
>> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms536759.aspx
>> This parameter is needed to specific the window features (size,
>> position,
>> ...).
>
> I couldn't find any features that I could justify specifying, so I
> omitted
> it. IMHO the UA should determine the size and position automatically; why
> would the author specify them? The author has no way to know what a
> reasonable value is.

While I myself don't find any decent use case for positioning the window,
I think sizing the popup is a common and useful use case,besides
controlling other aspected already covered by window.open(). Because the
behavior for the features argument in window.open() and showModalDialog
are similar (if not equal), I would recommend adding it to showModalDialog
for the sake of normalization (you could link one spec to the other) and
because UA would eventually reuse the implementation of window.open for
both cases, therefore not requiring extra work from scratch.