[whatwg] Error in Comment start dash state (8.2.4.19)

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> Currently tokenizing the following string (starting at Data state)
> "<!--foo" results in a parse error when hitting the 'f'.

As far as I can tell, it does not.

Assuming we're in a normal state of affairs, here are the states we visit
and the parse errors we emit as we are consuming the characters:

1. Data state: consume "<" and switch to tag open state.
2. Tag open state: consume "!" and switch to markup declaration open
   state.
3. Markup declaration open state: see "--" next, consume those characters,
   and switch to comment start state.
4. Comment start state: consume anything else ("f"), switch to comment
   state.
5. Comment state: consume anything else ("o"), stay in comment state.
6. Comment state: consume anything else ("o"), stay in comment state.
7. Comment state: parse error, consume EOF, return to data state.
8. Data state: end.

No errors are emitted until the end of the string, as expected.

Am I missing something?

> It seems like the error is in the "Comment start dash state" (section
> 8.2.4.19). It should switch to 'comment state' when a '-' is consumed,
> which is not what it currently does.

Given "<!--foo" you should never hit the comment start dash state.

> One more thing I forgot to mention. Several of the states regarding
> comments refer to outputting 'the comment token' and 'the comment
> tokens data'. However there is no mention that I could find for when
> the comment token is created. Maybe this isn't an error but a general
> pattern?

The comment token is created in the first paragraph of the markup
declaration open state.

HTH,