[whatwg] details == footnote ?

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 07:03:26 +0000 (UTC)
On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, Elliotte Harold wrote:

> Here's what I would ask: irrespective of presentation issues like when
> and where the notes appear on the page, what is the meaning of a details
> element and what is the meaning of a hypothetical footnote element? Are
> they significantly different?

<details> is a UI widget (a "disclosure triangle"). They show a summary of
information or widgets that can be expanded to show more details or
provide a greater array of controls.

title="" is for short annotations.

Paragraphs intended to annotate phrases or words (i.e. "footnotes") that
are longer than title="" would handle comfortably are subsections that are
related to others. For these it seems that inline links to other parts of
the document are most appropriate.