[whatwg] RDFa

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 11:48 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> I honestly don't see significant interest in computer-readable metadata.
> Just look at the average user's media library; most users have terrible
> metadata hygene.

It is true, we live in the middle ages of metadata hygene. But maybe
we can help move out of it and into more modern times by making tools
available that support metadata consistency better and that
automatically take care of some of the hygiene. Any such efforts
should be supported. We will not be able to get away completely from
having to deal with dirty metadata, but if it has an advantage to
people, they will care. The whole SEO industry is built on that fact.

> But in any case HTML5 already has extension mechanisms, so the discussion
> should not be over whether RDFa is worth it or not, the discussion should
> be over what extension mechanisms RDF needs that HTML5 doesn't provide.

I would like to understand exactly what changes to the existing HTML5
spec would be required to support RDFa. Ben - can you clarify? Maybe
the extension mechanism that Ian refers to already covers all the
needs, but it has not been clarified.

Regards,
Silvia.