[whatwg] Creative Commons Rights Expression Language

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 08:46:25 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008, Dan Brickley wrote:

> The Microformats.org community have done wonderful work and have
> inspired many others, but it is unfair on them (and unrealistic) to
> pressure their community, mailing lists and wiki by expecting their
> process to be a central bottleneck for all markup extensions to HTML.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that all such ideas should go through
the Microformats community. What is being suggested is that instead of
adding more features to HTML, the people who want to annotate their HTML
documents with metadata, like Creative Commons, merely use some of the
many existing HTML extension mechanisms, like class="", rel="", etc.

Microformats.org has shown several things; one is that it is important to
actually make sure the problem you are solving is one that needs solving,
another is that it is possible to use the existing HTML extension
mechanisms to mark up very rich semantic data.