From: whatwg-bounces@lists.whatwg.org
[mailto:whatwg-bounces at lists.whatwg.org] On Behalf Of Shannon
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:14 AM
To: Jonas Sicking
Cc: WHAT working group
Subject: Re: [whatwg] WebWorkers vs. Threads

Jonas Sicking wrote:
> What you describe above is also known as cooperative multithreading.
> I.e. each "thread" has to manually stop itself regularly and give
> control to the other threads, and eventually they must do the same and
> give control back.

Actually I was referring to the browser forcefully interleaving the
callback execution so they appear to run simultaneously. I was under the
impression this is how they behave now. I don't see how Javascript
callbacks can be cooperative since they have no yield statement or
equivalent.

> I'm also unsure which mozilla developer has come out against the idea
> of web workers. I do know that we absolutely don't want the
> "traditional" threading APIs that include locks, mutexes,
> synchronization, shared memory etc. But that's not what the current
> spec has. It is a much much simpler "shared nothing" API which already
> has a basic implementation in recent nightlies.

He wasn't against WebWorkers, he was, as you say,  against full
threading (with all the mutexes and locks etc... exposed to the JS
author). I can't find the reference site but it doesn't really matter
except from the point of view that many people (including myself) aren't
convinced a full pthread -like API is the way to go either. I just don't
see why locking can't be transparently handled by the interpreter given
that the language only interacts with true memory registers indirectly.