[whatwg] Scripted querying of <video> capabilities

From: Chris Double <chris.double@double.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 09:46:11 +1200
On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 7:13 AM, Tim Starling <tstarling at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Where do I go from here with this? Should I make a concrete proposal? A
> sample implementation? Get that Mozilla bug fixed? Or have I been shot
> down already?

I think it is important for web sites to be able to detect in some way
what a browser supports. Lot's of sites currently do this (Wikimedia
obviously, but there's also Metavid, the numerous 'video blogging'
scripts, etc). While they could all switch overnight to only
supporting <video> I doubt that suggesting that solution is going to
result in people looking favourably on migrating towards it.

Can the functionality provided by HTML 5 <video> do what is needed for
these sorts of detection scripts? If not, I'd be interested in seeing
a proposal of something that would work.

Chris.
--
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz