[whatwg] Scripted querying of <video> capabilities

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Tim Starling <tstarling at wikimedia.org>wrote:

> DirectShow and QuickTime can add those interfaces at a later date. When
> the backends develop this capability, there should be a standard way to
> go the next step and expose it to JavaScript. Otherwise every
> implementor will develop their own interface.

Sure. But the interface has to be able to say "I don't know". And then we're
relying on authors to do the right thing if they get that answer ... which
is always a worry.

In fact, QuickTime already has enough query capabilities for Wikimedia's
> purposes.

Probing for a particular component is a different problem from listing all
supported codecs, which is what I thought you were asking for. I suppose we
could hardcode a list of well-known components along with the codecs they
support and then probe for them to estimate what codecs are supported. But,
yuck.

Rob
53:5-6]