[whatwg] Proposal for a link attribute to replace <a href>

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 02:08:59 -0700
Ian Hickson wrote:
> Every now and then, the issue of a global href="" attribute for all
> elements comes up. There are many valid use cases for this, like being
> able to make all cells in a table row act like a link, or making a banner
> ad act like a single block of a link.
>
> Unfortunately, I've been told over and over by implementers that a global
> href="" is a bad idea, and at the end of the day, the implementors are the
> ones who have the final say, so that's just a non-starter.

Which implementations have you heard this from? As far as mozilla goes
we would have no technical problems implementing this.

The problems that I can see are of a more 'social' type. I.e. how to
behave when two links are nested, or when a button is nested inside a
link. Or how the event model interacts with the navigation action.

All these problems exist already, but might become more common if it was
easier to sprinkle 'href' attributes throughout the DOM.

/ Jonas