[whatwg] <link rel=icon width="" height="">

Brady Eidson wrote:

> what are people's thoughts on adding a new element for icon
> badging, one that would only be valid within the <head>?

Funny I wrote just that same question to the editor an hour ago.

Since someone else brought it up, now I'm just "adding to the
thought." :-)

The idea of an <icon> tag that forks from <link> strikes me as
analagous to the <video> tag forking from <object>. Both new
tags seem to come from the need to have attributes more specific
to their contents than makes sense to load on the general tag.

Obviously, this brings "tag bloat" and yet more work for user
agent authors, so we'd want to hear from them...  But a separate
icon tag would permit unconstrained design of its attributes and
preserve the generality of <link>.

best regards,
Matt
--