[whatwg] <link rel=icon width="" height="">

From: Martin Atkins <mart@degeneration.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:32:49 +0100
Ian Hickson wrote:
> (With my rarely-used Google hat on:)
>
> The Gears team has an API that allows authors to specify a set of icons:
>
>    http://code.google.com/apis/gears/upcoming/api_desktop.html
>
> They used a scripted API, but when I tried to get them to use a
> declarative API, they said that the main reason they used a scripted one
> is that the declarative options didn't have a way to specify dimensions.
>
> This is a proposal to add "height" and "width" attributes to <link>
> specifically for the case of rel=icon, so that authors can provide
> multiple icons and let the UA decide which to use based on their size
> (without having to download them all to find out which is best).
>
> Opinions?

I recall that another group[1] in a similar situation were considering
something like the following:

<link rel="icon" type="image/gif; width=24, height=24" href="...">

Presumably the above would be more the bailiwick of the MIME standard
than the HTML standard, but this seems cleaner to me than adding some
special-case attributes to the html LINK element.

[1] Sadly, I cannot remember which group it was at the moment.