[whatwg] postMessage feedback

From: Jeff Walden <jwalden+whatwg@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:05:41 -0400
(sigh, messed up sender address so the original got rejected from the whatwg list, apologies for the duplicate message...)

Ian Hickson wrote:
> I haven't changed the target of the event, it's still the Document object.
> This is a little odd, though, would people rather I made it the <body>
> element with an auto-forward to the Window object, like the 'load' event
> and so forth? That would allow onmessage="" handles to be written.

I've mentioned this on IRC but should probably mention it here so it's in the record, so to speak.  I don't see a strong use case for an onmessage attribute.  Event handler attributes are useful for quick little things, but accepting messages from other sites seems neither quick (aside from free-for-all walls I can't think of things you'd want to do that wouldn't be fairly involved) nor little (you need the origin check at a minimum, then you have to do whatever you're going to do, and it's a lot to stuff in an attribute -- and if you're just delegating to another method, why not just set the method as handler programmatically?).  I don't think having to do it via script is particularly burdensome.

Jeff