[whatwg] Request: Canvas Tag CSS

From: Greg Houston <gregory.houston@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 14:15:05 -0500
1. The CSS would not validate.

2. Developers exchange code on the web, via tutorials, snippets,
templates and so forth. If there is no standard, then one developer
may write a CSS rule for Canvas like:

.myButton {
      fillStyle: LinearGradient(0,0,0,30) ColorStop(0, '#00ABEB')
ColorStop(0.5, '#fff');
      lineWidth: 1;
      shadowColor: #000;
      shadowBlur: 5;
      fillRect: 0, 0, 100, 30;
}

.myButtonHighlight {
      fillStyle: rgba(255, 255, 255 , 0.5);
      fillRect: 2, 2, 96, 13;
}

And another may write something like:

.myButton {
      fill-style: linearGradient(0,0,0,30) colorStops(0, '#00ABEB',
0.5, '#fff');
      line-width: 1;
      shadow-color: #000;
      shadow-blur: 5;
      fill-rect: 0, 0, 100, 30;
}

.myButtonHighlight {
      fill-style: rgba(255, 255, 255 , 0.5);
      fill-rect: 2, 2, 96, 13;
}

Each developer has to re-invent the wheel, adding extra complexity to
their code, where it could be done once in a standard and exchangeable
way by the UA.

3. Someone makes a template for an application. A designer then wishes
to theme it. Looking at the CSS, the designer see all these CSS rules
they are unfamiliar with. They think, okay, I will go to W3C and see
what they are, but then they find nothing. Then they think, I'll do a
search on the web, but then find nothing.

Why add rounded corners to the CSS specification? You can do the same
thing with images. Why add any new feature to a specification? To make
it easier, more intuitive, and standard.

- Greg