[whatwg] executeSql API is synchronous

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007, Aaron Boodman wrote:

> db.executeSQL("select * from person where id = ?", [42], function(result) {
>   // result is an array of objects
> });
>
> Another issue that this design addresses is that it avoid blocking the
> UI for IO while iterating the results (all the results can be iterated
> on a different thread).

This is basically what the spec does now. There is some debate about
whether the results should actually be an Array or not though, to allow
for a lazy caching implementation if desired.

> The downside is that for some difficult types of queries that involve
> application-level filtering, this can be wasteful. That is why you might
> want a lower-level iteration API as well. One way that you could get
> this while at the same time avoiding blocking the UI thread while
> stepping through the results is to have a callback for every row like
> David suggested.

This might be something to look at for a v2, certainly. I'd rather we keep
the API as simple as possible at first, though.