From: whatwg-bounces@lists.whatwg.org
[mailto:whatwg-bounces at lists.whatwg.org] On Behalf Of Maciej Stachowiak
Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2007 1:07 AM
To: Dave Camp
Cc: whatwg at whatwg.org; Ian Hickson; robert at ocallahan.org; Aaron Boodman
Subject: Re: [whatwg] Offline Web Apps

On Sep 21, 2007, at 10:49 AM, Dave Camp wrote:

> On 9/21/07, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org> wrote:
>> Actually we have an experimental API for this now. See here:

http://mxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/dom/public/idl/html/nsIDOMNSHTMLInpu
tElement.idl#55

http://mxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/content/base/public/nsIDOMFileList.i
dl

http://mxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/content/base/public/nsIDOMFile.idl
>> The core is:
>> readonly attribute DOMString fileName;
>> readonly attribute unsigned long long fileSize;

It would be nice if this was designed to handle the possibility of
multiple file selection (which I think Web Forms 2 enables).

>> DOMString getAsText(in DOMString encoding);
>> // raises(FileException) on retrieval
>> DOMString getAsDataURL();
>> // raises(FileException) on retrieval
>>
>> DOMString getAsBinary();
>> // raises(FileException) on retrieval
>>
>> These should be self-explanatory.

Minor nitpicks:

For the ones that don't take a parameter, I think a read-only
attribute would be more appropriate than a "get" function. It's
relatively rare for JS APIs to use no-arg getter instead of an
attribute, and even when it does it's rare for the function name to
start with "get".