[whatwg] Offline Web Apps

From: Dimitri Glazkov <dimitri.glazkov@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:21:21 -0500
The following has a rant flavor to it, but I am hoping you'll find it
helpful in the thought process.

Distinct, server-reaching URLs (no fragment identifiers) for each page
in an web application are a _good_thing_. Packing the whole
application into one document and managing history with id hashes and
other hacks is not. It's a necessary kludge that you have to do in
order to avoid browser context re-initializing, re-parsing scripts,
and re-requesting all accompanying graphical and stylistic overhead
every time the user clicks on anything.

I would've loved it if Google Reader had a distinct URL for each click
I make on the page, and I am sure Google Reader devs would've loved it
too. Except they also would've loved not having to worry about the
browser/scripting context change. Instead, they have to essentially
reinvent the way web works
(http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2006/03/26/On-REST) by
overloading fragment identifier with an entire URI management system.
I applaud the effort and the result is awesome, but it doesn't make a
good bedtime story.

I guess the vision is that application context transcends and
encompasses browser/scripting context somehow.

:DG<