[whatwg] Semantic use of the <font> element

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Nicholas Shanks wrote:

> I have a website which discusses typography, web design, and computer
> fonts. It recently occurred to me that my use of spans with style
> elements was not really the most semantic method of getting across my
> meaning, and I would be better using the font element.
>
> My content goes something like this:

> Which loses its visual meaning if the CSS is stripped, overridden, or
> not understood, and further more I cannot supply fallback fonts (since
> that would create a misleading visual appearance) and so here contradict
> the CSS guidelines for the font-family property. Would it not be more
> correct to use:

> In this instance I am saying to the browser that the font is the
> critical part of that run of text, and the fact that <font> doesn't
> support fall-back works in my favour here, as well as the usage being
> fully compatible with graphical UAs.

I would argue that HTML is the wrong language for what you're trying to
do. What you're conveying is intrinsically visual (media-specific) and you
should use a media-specific format, like PDF.

Indeed, this point was then put forward by a number of people:

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Dave Singer wrote:
> [...]

HTH,