From: whatwg-bounces@lists.whatwg.org
[mailto:whatwg-bounces at lists.whatwg.org] On Behalf Of Robert O'Callahan
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2007 1:32 AM
To: Jonas Sicking
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak; whatwg
Subject: Re: [whatwg] When to stop <video> elements from playing

After some discussion on IRC, I think Jonas, Hixie and I agreed that we're
OK with the following approach:
-- sound is produced for display:none elements and elements not in the DOM
-- removing an element from the DOM automatically calls stop() on that
element
-- tearing down the owner document always stops the element playing (so
navigating away from the page always stops sound)

Therefore
myAudio = new Audio("foo.wav");
myAudio.onload = function () {
  this.play();
  myAudio = null;
}
will work, and will play until the sound ends or the user leaves the page.

Rob