[whatwg] Full screen for the <video> element

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Kornel Lesinski wrote:

> Couldn't this be protected in a similar way pop-up blocking works? If
> not, browsers could simply display confirmation dialog box before
> entering fullscreen (some sort of protection is neccessary to protect
> against phishing and annoyance).

The popup blocking is highly inadequate, sadly. It isn't a model we really
want to follow.

Displaying a confirmation dialog is considered poor UI.

> I think Mihai has a valid point here -- if there's no API for
> fullscreen, custom players won't be able to provide UI for it or will
> try to fake it.

Why would the UA's own fullscreen UI not be eough?

> I suggest adding fullscreen() (toggleFullscreen? enterFullscreen?)
> method that returns false if UA refused to enter fullscreen:
>
> if (!video.fullscreen())
> {
> 	openVideoInLargePopupInstead();
> }

In practice such an API would simply always return false.

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Gervase Markham wrote:

> Indeed. But it would be good to have an event which triggers when the
> user chooses to go full screen, so the page can e.g. hide headers and
> borders. (Or perhaps the onresize() event on the body already does
> that?).

The 'projection' media type is probably the best solution for this.