[whatwg] Style sheet loading and parsing (over HTTP)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 11:00:58 +0200
Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> For compatibility with the web it seems important to simply ignore
> Content-Type in all modes. Firefox has some hack where they "respect"
> Content-Type in standards mode except when the response Content-Type
> doesn't contain a "/" or "\". For instance

> would be applied. Internet Explorer doesn't respect Content-Type at all
> either. However, it does respect HTTP status codes. So redirects are
> followed and responses with status codes that indicate some type of
> error (404, 410, 501, etc.) are not parsed as style sheets. Anything
> that ends up with a status code of 200 that is fetched from a "style
> sheet loader" (<link rel=stylesheet>, @import) is parsed and applied.
>
> It would be nice if the specification said something along those lines.

So are you seriously suggesting to document behavior that is a against
what the W3C TAG recommends?

See <http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/mime-respect.html>.

<irony>
That page says "Latest version:
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/mime-respect". I follow that link with
Firefox 2.0, which gets me XML content, with a reference to an XSLT at
<http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/versioning.xsl>, but *that* one is
served with media type "text/html", so Firefox is refusing to apply it
("Error loading stylesheet: An XSLT stylesheet does not have an XML
mimetype"). Good.
</irony>

Best regards, Julian