[whatwg] on codecs in a 'video' tag.

From: Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:48:37 +0100
Dave Singer wrote:
> Yes.  I re-iterate;  we have nothing aganist the Ogg or Theora codecs;
> we just don't have a commercial reason to implement them, and we'd
> rather not have the HTML spec. try to force the issue.  It just gets
> ugly (like the 3G exception).

But that's circular reasoning. "We don't have a commercial reason to
implement Ogg or Theora, and so we'd rather not have the HTML spec give
us a commercial reason."

If the HTML spec said that Theora support was a SHOULD, and the other
browser manufacturers were implementing it, then you would have a
commercial reason.

If you have nothing against Ogg or Theora, and your "interest in
multi-vendor multimedia standards is deep and long-lasting,
interoperable, and very open", and other parties have said that a
baseline codec for video needs to be open and (as far as can be
discerned) patent and royalty-free, then surely your position must one
one of the following:

- You don't actually want a baseline codec in the spec - i.e. you don't
actually have a commitment to interoperability

- You do want a baseline codec in the spec, but you are happy for it to
be someone other people can't implement - i.e. you don't actually have a
commitment to multi-vendor multimedia standards

- You do want a baseline codec in the spec, and want it to be one
everyone can implement - i.e. you are happy for Ogg Theora (or another
codec with a similar IP position, such as Dirac) to be it

That seems to logically enumerate the possibilities. Or have I missed
something?

Gerv

(Just in case there's any concern, I speak only for myself in this post,
as someone keen to see logical debate on this issue, and not for my
employer.)