[whatwg] <source>

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 21:47:01 +0100, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com>
wrote:
>> [...]
>
> So to be sure I understand your proposal, you're suggesting that instead
> of
>
> <source type="audio/mpeg" src="mysong.mp3">
>
> You'd say:
>
> <param type="audio/mpeg" value="mysong.mp3">
>
> I think the latter is a lot less clear. Also, <param> would end up
> having two uses which differ in the following ways:
>
> 1) Do you have type/value or name/value as allowed attributes?
> 2) Which object can contain it?
> 3) Do you process all of them, or only the first one to match some
> criteria?
>
> They would effectively be different elements since the processing model
> and criteria for a valid document would differ.

Yeah. If that's much of a problem I suppose we have to live with
<source>...

> [...]
>
> One nice thing about using <alt> is that it makes it more clear that
> only one source will apply. Another nice thing about it is that it could
> more naturally be extended to supporting playlists, where a single
> element is declaratively set up to play multiple media files (this is
> better than using script for this, since you can start buffering the
> second and subsequent files early).
>
> [...]

I suppose. I rather like the processing model of <video> / <audio> /
<source> as it is now though. Not sure how you can easily extend that for
playlists. Prolly in a similar way as you proposed for <alt>.

By the way, people also suggested using an external file to contain the
playlist.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>