[whatwg] Markup for external content

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 19:59:47 +0200
On Mar 18, 2007, at 19:53, Alexey Feldgendler wrote:

> * <applet>: the (old) way of activating Java. Probably must also
> die, though I'm unsure about this one.

Why must it die? Browsers have to support it anyway, so documenting
it and letting it pass conformance checking seems sensible.

I don't like applets, either. In fact I've never seen a Java applet
that wasn't either useless, better implemented in JavaScript, better
implemented in Flash or better in a window of its own rather than in
a replaced element rectangle. Still, pretending that <applet> doesn't
exist won't make applets disappear. :-(

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi