[whatwg] <video> element feedback

From: Nicholas Shanks <contact@nickshanks.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:28:31 +0000
On 22 Mar 2007, at 20:53, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> Sorry to jump into this conversation at such a late point, but I only
> just joined the mailing list.
>
> About 8 years ago, we had the idea of using fragment offsets to start
> playing from offsets of media files. However, in discussions with the
> URI standardisation team at W3C it turned out that fragment offsets
> are only being seen by the UA that sends them, so they will never
> reach the web server.

There's a good discussion about that here:
http://1997.webhistory.org/www.lists/www-talk.1993q2/0551.html
(read through the rest of the thread for more info)

> This makes it impossible to use them for "play
> from this offset" since obviously the offsetting should be done by the
> server and avoid downloading the bunch of data that comes before the
> offset point.

But it doesn't stop the UA from taking cues from the markup (such as
my gegenschein example from yesterday) and generating a query such
as ?start=17:33. They don't have to request the exact value of the
src attribute.

- Nicholas.