[whatwg] Full screen for the <video> element

On 22 Mar 2007, at 14:16, Gervase Markham wrote:

> Martin Atkins wrote:
>> Perhaps you and I have different ideas about what is meant by
>> "full screen", but why would a page need to hide anything when the
>> video is full screen? The page itself won't be visible, because
>> the video will be taking up the entire screen!
>
> My thought was that it would be the same function as the current
> "full screen" that the browser has. I.e. the page says "For full-
> screen, press F11". The user presses F11 and the browser makes the
> window full-screen,

Does this hide the menubar/taskbar/widgets, darken other screens (I
have three) or anything along those lines, and resize the browser
window?

To me full screen mode for video would not alter the browser window
size, instead it would cover the screen in a new window and draw just
the video into that. The browser window would be left untouched below
(though the video may no longer be rendering into it).

I would also like to be able to drag the full-screen video to a
secondary monitor, switch back to the browser window and keep
browsing (perhaps in another tab or read the rest of the page). The
video would keep playing full-screen on the other screen until I
closed the originating tab, the video ends, or I stop playback.

- Nicholas.