[whatwg] Codecs (was Re: Apple Proposal for Timed Media Elements)

On 3/22/07, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> There are devices that have a hardware video decoder but not enough
> CPU power for even relatively simple video. These could justifiably
> omit Ogg under the SHOULD clause.

Is there something that prevents implementation of ogg hardware video
decoders? That sounds like a possible technical point.

> While it's hard to have certainty, I am pointing out that the
> relative risk assessment can look different depending on one's position.

Sounds like an interesting discussion for two lawyers. It certainly
seems like it would be difficult to speak for all Gecko or WebKit
embedders, though.

--

Robert Sayre